Thursday, August 28, 2008

Java (Day 3 : Shopping and the visit to the emergency room)

I woke up early today to the noises made by other guests, having breakfast at the centre court of the hotel. Gee...I didn't feel rested.

We checked out of Wisma Gandapura, right after breakfast. Olen wanted to get some leather shoes, so Ferry took us to Cibaduyut. She found a good pair of ankle length leather boots that was under RM100.

Later on we headed to Pasar Baru. I've started getting a headache from the drive into the parking lot. We went floor after floor, until we got our parking.

Despite been here twice before but I've never reached the upper floors. Well, this time I bought some material. I didn't want to buy lots of stuffs or else I won't have enough space in my backpack.

There are a lot of choices and if you're into shopping, you could spend hours here.

As for me, I decided on a maroon french lace, with elaborate design, complete with beads and sequins. Bought 2 meters of it. Thought I'll wear it for Himawan's wedding in December. It only cost me about Rp200,00 per meter or about RM 80.

We had planned to leave Bandung around 3pm, right after lunch so that we could arrive in Jogja early. That was why we didn't spend a lot of time in Pasar Baru.

My headache had worsened. We had to make a stop so that Ferry could massaged my head. It was a relief until I started vomitting. I thought it was over so we headed for lunch at one of the shops near the exit of the city.

What happened later became like a black hole. I couldn't hold any food at all. Was vomitting my stomach out at the restaurant. The guys didn't really have a choice but rushed me to the hospital.

I was immediately admitted into the emergency room. I was given a shot to stop the spasm. Ferry & Olen spoke to the doctor and told her that we were leaving for Jogja. The doctor told them that I was in no condition to travel that distance. She decided to keep me under observation for several hours.

I was scared...this was only Day 3. It wasn't even half the journey. A lot of things came to mind. What if I'm too sick to continue the journey? What if I have to return to Malaysia? But I calmed myself. Told myself that if I need immediate medical attention, then I would have no choice but call Pak Nasser, one of our staff, based in Jakarta.

I fell asleep due to the shot.My backpack with all my documents and money was with Olen. I basically didn't have anything on me except the clothes on my back. I just hoped that the guys are okay with it.

It was only hours later that I came around. The doctor on shift had changed. Since I was no longer vomitting and the headache was getting better, the doctor discharged me.

We finally made our way out of Bandung, around 6pm. I was still weak, so, I decided to sleep at the last row.




We made a few stops along the way...Had our dinner of nasi goreng (fried rice) and teh hangat (hot tea) at a stall in one of the villages.

As I was still feeling dizzy, I've switched to sit in front. I've never travelled at night before so I was getting restless. It would be morning when we would arrive in Jogja. Fortunately, we made some stretching break.

One thing commendable that I must point out is the condition of the public toilets....which were surprisingly clean. The "highway" that we were taking was unlike the ones I'm used to in Malaysia. It was basically a single carriageway, passing through villages. There are no proper R&R area. So, if you need to ease yourself, do stop at the petrol kiosk. Some kiosks came with a minimart, toilets, showers and some with prayer room (Musolllah).

Travelling at night is also an experience, despite the danger. There are many heavy vehicles that used the same road. I only prayed that we would still be safe. I'm glad that we decided to get our own transport instead of the original plan of taking the public transport. If we had been taking the public transport, it would be really difficult for me especially when I'm sick.

If anyone is interested to take the same route, I would suggest getting your own transport. It allows you the flexibility to travel at your own time and pace. You would also be able to stop along the way, for a taste of local food.

No comments: